Nondairy milks have been trending for years now and don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon (for good reason). These days, there are seemingly endless variations of nondairy milk: soy, almond, cashew, coconut, macadamia nut, and more. Recently, the star of the show has been none other than oat milk.
Oat milk is flavorful, rich, creamy, nut allergy safe, lactose-free, and environmentally friendly. While there are countless oat milk brands on the market, oat milk can be a somewhat expensive substitute for dairy milk. In addition, many store-bought oat milks contain added sugar, preservatives, oils, and gums that make them much less healthy.
However, it is extremely cost-efficient (and easy!) to make oat milk at home. All you need is a few standard ingredients (none of the bad stuff), a blender, and five minutes to chef up some delicious and healthy homemade oat milk that you can add to your Big Ass Iced Coffee - Black Coffee, a bowl of cereal, or simply drink on its own.
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 3-4 cups cold water (less water = creamier milk!)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (for sweetness)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
Here's how to make it:
1. Combine all of the ingredients into a blender and blend for 30 seconds or until the mixture is smooth. Be careful not to over-blend.
2. Place cheesecloth or a nut milk bag over a large bowl or pitcher and strain the blended mixture. Don't squeeze any of the excess pulp through the strainer to add creaminess to the milk without any grittiness.
3. Add more maple syrup or vanilla extract as desired for extra sweetness and flavor. Chill the milk in your refrigerator and add it to your Big Ass Iced Coffee - Black Coffee for a great start to your day :)
- Eva, Big Ass Iced Coffee Founder Apprentice & Intern